The approach: The distinction can be made atleast along five dimensions. Here we are providing the name of the dimensions. Kindly elaborate the points adequately.
- Nature of personality dimensions: 16 PF involves bipolar dimensions whereas big 5 involves rating over postive spread. A person is judged for the degree of possession. Moreover, for every dimension, there are six facets in big 5 model.
- Approaches of theories: 16 PF is completely a mathematical model developed using technique of factor analysis. Big 5 involves factors analysis plus empirical data from from the studies of language and questionnaire
- Scope of the theory: 16 PF, according to its developper Raymond Cattell, only aims at predicting behaviour whereas big 5 also strives for explanation for the typical behaviour. But predictive power is more in 16 PF as it uses specification equation comprising person and situation interaction.
- Validity of the theories: Ecological validity of big 5 is higher than that of 16 PF. Lang and Livesley found heredity estimate exceeding 40% for all the factors. Cross cultural validity is more in big 5 model of personality. Studies in evolutionary psychology support big five theory.
big five is still criticise for its inadequacy ..if only five are sufficient for the all kinds of personality.
- Application: the Big five also has power to diagnose personality disorders, apart from use in organisations . No clinical use of 16 PF.
Arun Kumar, Beautiful Mind-IAS